The purpose of the North Avenue Signals and Safety Project is to update traffic signal infrastructure and improve safety for pedestrians, drivers, and transit users along North Avenue. Traffic signal upgrades will include higher visibility signals with back plates, controllers, communication hardware, and radar detection. Pedestrian accommodations include pedestrian countdown signals, audible push buttons, curb extensions/bumpouts, mid-block crossings, and ADA ramps. There is a long-term need for updated infrastructure with improved safety and accessibility along this corridor.
Traffic Signal upgrades are planned for the following:
- North Ave & Arch St
- North Ave & Federal St
- North Ave & Sandusky St
- North Ave & Cedar St
Pedestrian safety improvements will also occur at the following un-signalized intersections:
- North Ave & Reddour St
- North Ave & Boyle St
- North Ave & Linden
- North Ave & Middle St
Figure 1 - Project Location Map
Figure 2 - Project Crash Data
*Federal at North has the highest frequency of crashes in the corridor.
The selected alternative focuses on enhancing pedestrian safety and better transit reliability throughout the corridor. Key elements include:
- Road Diet- Maintain one through-lane in each direction between Arch and Cedar plus a left-turn lane
- Intersection Bump-outs- Reduce crossing distances by up to 30%
- Bus Pullouts w/ Que-jumping technology - Reduce bus blockages while boarding and reduce delays
- On-street Parking - Addition of on-street parking spaces to buffer southern sidewalk from live traffic
- Traffic Signal Upgrades - Upgraded infrastructure at Arch, Federal, Sandusky, Cedar and James Streets. Traffic Signal coordination will be provided from Arch Street to James street along North Ave.